San Diego Getaway

4:56 PM

From one getaway to the next, I'm always on the go. Mimosas lakeside in Austin, Texas to brews seaside in San Diego, California. Ultimately, my goal is to live in Southern California and be a local rather than visiting (most expensive mental decision I've made other than going to private university, lol). This past week I stayed in a Golden State of mind; I crashed at my bff's digs and hit the coolest spots in SD with them and now I'm going to share it with y'all! 


Obviously the best parts about California are the beaches - currently writing my first draft of this post on Mission Beach waiting for my flight back to Dallas. My favorite spot so far is definitely Swami's Beach. Not only is it a great surfing spot but has an amazing, point-break lookout that is the perfect place for any local (or kook) to meet up and watch the sunset, rally and rendezvous at. My friends and I spent an entire day goofing off, lounging in the sand and enjoying the sunny day after the gloomy rain had passed. I got really lucky that my last two days were sunny and 75 because San Diego got hit with a lot of rain a few days before! Since the weather was a little grey, I didn't get to go on any decent hikes on this trip but Torrey Pines and The Cove in La Jolla are my favorite spots. They are easy, beginner hikes with some amazing views.

I had no idea that breweries were such a huge thing in San Diego. I think I drank enough craft beer and double IPAs to last me a lifetime. I'm pretty hoppy I got to try so many cool breweries while I was in SD (lol). Ballast Point near University of San Diego and Karl Strauss in La Jolla were pretty cool, K. Strauss had awful service but great food. I think my absolute favorite brewery was Stone Taphouse in Oceanside. It stole my heart with the outdoor seating lined with succulent walls, twinkling lights over the patio and natural rock formation tables and fires (plus great beer and walking distance from the pier). I wish, wish, wish I could have grabbed a better photo from Stone but it was too dark for my iPhone to get a decent one. Rip Current, the micro brewery in San Marcos, had some of the best tasting beer but was in a very average location off the highway. This whole little niche of brewing beers was a new world I never explored. The whole concept is pretty cool. You order a flight, which is three to five beers that are 4oz testers, and try each one! This is super fun to do with friends because it's like community oriented since you're trying them together, you get to share beers and your opinion on them.

Speaking of great brews, my top two coffee spots in SD are Better Buzz in Encinitas right off the 101, just a block away from the coast. It's perfect to grab a cuppa and walk down the cute little strip that has vegan shops, boutiques and a low-key vibe. Succulent Cafe in Oceanside is super hip and cute succulent garden that you can drink coffee admire the plants (and buy some too!) The succelents were beautiful after San Diego got hit with a few days of rain, the entire county looked lush and green for that matter. Oh, I take my coffee black - please don't judge. 

My end goal, after college and a stable income, is to move to San Diego - or virtually any party of SoCal - I know taxes are crazy and the cost of living is too high; but if you can find full satisfaction in a place you work, eat, sleep, and breath then take a leap of courage and make the move. If you see the opportunity to change your scenery then push yourself to reach the goal of living in a new place. Change is good and should be embraced. Who wants to live in the same place their whole life anyway?


xo, kristina 


Live vicariously through me as I explore more of the world through my pics on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. I hope everyone is enjoying my content and can't wait to give y'all more! Please share and subscribe!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments